As you probably know, the pension rule book has been rewritten. When it comes to your retirement planning, you now have more options, more choice and more to think about than ever before. But with so many possibilities, it can be difficult — if not impossible — to know what to do for the best. We can help.
Nothing is set in stone
Whatever your retirement dreams and goals may be, first you’ll want to know that you have the financial resources to achieve them. Answering that question is not quite as straightforward as you might think — there are all kinds of possibilities to consider. At some point, you’ll probably want your pension savings to provide an income for you: another aspect of retirement that’s far from clear cut! Some options are more generous, tax-efficient or flexible than others. It all depends on the scale of your resources, your circumstances and your needs at the time.
Here are some of the issues an ‘in retirement’ investment plan encompasses:
- Have you calculated exactly how much money are you going to need to live the life you’d like to live?
- What are you views about investment risk and reward? In other words, what risks are you prepared to take? What risks do you need to take? What kind of returns do you expect from your investments?
- If you have a mortgage or other debts, does it make financial sense to pay them off? And if so, when and how?
- It’s not just ISAs that offer favourable tax breaks — there are other types of tax efficient investments. Do you know what they are?
- Is your current investment strategy flexible enough to capitalise on opportunities as they arise?
Retirement planning is part and parcel of our all-encompassing Lifestyle Wealth Process.